Saturday, June 18, 2011

WHY I LOVE THE OLD TESTAMENT (#2)

Deut. 25: 8-10 says this...
"At this, the elders of the town should summon him and reason with him. If he still stands his ground and says I refuse to take her, his brother's widow must go up to him in the presence of the elders, pull his sandal off his foot, spit in his face, and declare, 'Thus we requite the man who will not build up his brother's family. His family will be known in Israel as the house of the unsandalled man.'"

Let's face it: I love wearing sandals.  

I think they're comfortable, airy, stylish, and often make me feel like Jesus.  Especially when I wear my white Hilton Hotel robe and blue sash from the fabric store with them.  I can think of no  MORE first century fashion statement - except maybe a donkey.  Or a beard.

At the very least, when I wear sandals, I feel like Elijah.  And sometimes the Apostle Thomas, when I'm feeling "Doubt-y" at the time.

Here in this passage, we learn that there is the very real possibility for trouble if you happen to be a "sandal wearing guy with a dead brother who doesn't really dig your sister-in-law." 

Lucky for me, while I DO wear sandals, I do NOT have a brother (dead or otherwise).  So... I'm kinda in the clear on this one, I guess.  NO matter what I do, my family will not be known as a "house of a sandal-less" one.  

Whew.  That's a relief.  I tell ya, the Old Testament can be such a comfort.

As together we stand and sing.

BP






No comments:

Post a Comment